CMU freshman dies from bacterial meningitis
For second time this week a college freshman from a U.S. university has died from meningococcal meningitis.
It was reported Wednesday that Central Michigan University freshman, 19-year-old, Nicholas Collins has contracted the serious bacterial infection.
According to a WXYZ.com report Friday, a spokesperson for a Livonia hospital says that Collins died Thursday night. The St. Mary Mercy representative was unable to disclose any other details.
CMU officials reported earlier that Collins was considered contagious for the disease from April 30 to May 7. He moved out of Trout Hall last Thursday.
CMU University Health Services says anyone who may have had contact with Collins or has questions about this case should contact the Wayne County Health Department at (734) 727-7078 .
You can also call your local healthcare provider or CMU Health Services at (989) 774-6577 .
Prophylactic antibiotics should be given to fellow students, or anyone who had close contact with Collins to prevent infection with the bacterium that causes meningococcal meningitis.
It was reported Wednesday that a Washington University in St. Louis freshman, Emily Benatar, also died from the very dangerous meningococcal meningitis.