Published On: Sat, Dec 19th, 2009

Parenting War: Ban on iCarly

Miranda Cosgrove has risen to fame as the younger sister on “Drake & Josh” and now her own show: “iCarly” and this show is extremely popular.

The show follows two girls and a boy who produce a regular web video program, similar to YouTube, called iCarly.The characters revel in their pseudo-Fame as an excuse for daily antics in school or their personal lives which drives a back story to the perennial webcast.

While the theme of friendship is apparent and there are efforts to send a message, there are also several incidents and language that you don’t want your child emulating.

No longer in my house.

Recently, the friend, Sam (blonde) is advising Carly’s brother on how to lie more efficiently. Great topic for a kid’s show.

The characters on this show treat each other horribly. Is this based on how they kids behave in the real world or is it perpetuating the problem?

One episode of iCarly, Sam isn’t allowed to insult Freddie all week, unless she wants to pay him $5 an insult. As soon as Sam has some money:

Sam: You smell like feet. *gives him $5*
Freddie:*smiles, takes money*
Sam: If you were a country, you’d be El Salvadork. *gives another $5*
Freddie: *still smiling, takes the money*
Sam: Have I made fun of your butt yet?
Freddie: No.
Sam: It’s oddly shaped. *gives $5*
Sam: No girl will ever want you. *gives $5*

Emmy worthy yes?

Sam is constantly getting into trouble, blaming others (usually Freddie) and her rude and cruel behavior hasn’t gotten the show shut off from my the television.

When you hear the seven-year-old introducing or calling each other “doof”, “Bubble Butt” (nickname for one of their teachers), referencing “pimples on their butt”, putting spaghetti in their pants, you can trace it back to this show.

Carly: You’re in trouble.
Sam: Who has urine trouble.

and

Sam Puckett: Those Dingo people are dead!
Carly Shay: What are we gonna do?
Sam Puckett: We’re gonna go find ‘em and kick ‘em in their dingoes!

Carly: [doorbell rings] There’s the doorbell.
Sam: Smells like your grandad.
Sam: [turns to Freddy] You smell like garbage.
Freddy: Your butt’s shaped like a ham.

Let’s not ignore that great messages the show sends:

Sam Puckett: [crying] I don’t like working! I don’t know how people do it. It’s horrible! Th-they don’t let you sleep, or watch TV, or go online, and they expect you to be nice to all the customers! And I’m not even allowed to eat the chili. Do you know what it’s like to be me, surrounded by giant pots of chili and not allowed to eat it?

Some stuff I found researching for this:

On the episode of iCarly when Freddy is afraid that Sam is going to “get him back”, and about all the first kiss junk. When Sam was about to throw Spencer the football, I looked across the hallway at the number of Freddy’s apartment, and it says 8=D.

Infamous iCarly “hobknocker” controversy, which was said on the show:

See what I think of “Degrassi” : http://deskofbrian.com/2010/06/degrassi-is-disgraceful-even-for-teens/

Check out the Desk of Brian Facebook page here

About the Author

- Brandon Jones writes for several websites, particularly Examiner.com where he covers several topics. He began 'blogging' on CrazedFanboy.com before it was called blogging. As the DeskofBrian grew in popularity, Brandon began to write and publish Pop Culture topics as well as the heavier "State of the Nation" which deals with politics and heavy issues. Described as the "Brainwashed Spewer of Bile and Filth" and the "Deranged Preacher Spontaneously Sermonizing" - Brandon feels he must be doing something right. He regularly contributes and edit on two fan sites: Spielberg Fan Club, and I Love Muppets Brandon detoured from pursuing a degree in history but never lost his love of knowledge embracing the famous George Santayana quote: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Brandon currently writes the National Comic Book Examiner, the Tampa Bay Comic Book Examiner as well as the National American history Examiner.

Displaying 16 Comments
Have Your Say
  1. Ben dover says:

Ps Sam is a counter example of standard behavior. If you had finished kinder you would have realized this

2. Ben Dover says:

I agree with your thoughts on degrassi. I respect but disagree with the icarly article. Icarly is a show for Tweens and early teens. They need to get used to the real world. That doesn’t mean go all out like degrassi. And bubble butt isn’t a butt with zits. It’s a round butt. Round. Like a bubble. 8====D

3. [...] See what I think of iCarly: http://deskofbrian.com/2009/12/parenting-war-ban-on-icarly/ [...]

4. Tani says:

This is a pathetic article. Kids are smart enough to differentiate between this show and reality. I have, not once, seen a child copy any of the characters’ “rude and cruel” behavior.
    And as for your comment,
    “That doesn’t really justify the exposure does it?”
    What “exposure?” They’re not copying the behavior, and none of this happens in everyday life. The only thing your children are getting exposed to is a controlling parent, and that is way more dangerous for them in the future than “bubble butt.”

5. Rachel says:

Umm I just this episode with the 8-D it’s 8D I believe you were trying to look for something that wasn’t there

6. Brandon says:

Thanks Pak, that was my motivation for writing the piece. The more I found out about Degrassi, the more I didn’t want my kids to see the commercials

7. pak31 says:

I don’t have a problem with this show, it’s show that are sexually suggestive that I have issues with. My kids are 9 and 13, and are old enough to know what is real and fake. They watch it they laugh and that’s fine. It’s harder as a parent today. When I was a kid, the shows that had sexual tones were on later in the night plus we weren’t interested in watching them. With cable everything is on all the time all day long. Teen shows or young adult themed shows advertise to younger crowds. My son is watching Sponge Bob but has to see a commericial for Degrassi. That isn’t right.

8. Brandon says:

Yes Anna, but unlike the shows of the 80’s, especially the Cosby show, there was a message correcting the inappropriate behavior.

iCarly is devoid of a responsible adult figure, Sam’s behavior is condoned & encouraged — all for some laughs.

Trust me, shelter your kids all you want and they still learn what the “real” world is like.

I can’t shield them from everything, nor do I try, but when I identify a poisonous and bad influence, we explain to them WHY and eliminate the exposure.

9. anna says:

I’m 41 years old, and even back when I was 10-14, these icarly insults would have been tame and mild. Growing pains, Family ties, even the cosby show all had their ‘bad’ moments.

Any parents who wish to ;shield’ their kids from all naughtiness are just asking for trouble later. When your kids live your compound, they will be exposed anyways

10. Mommy says:

This guy is not giving our kids credit. Most kid shows are funny on their level, however it doesn’t mean they are gonna mock the actions. Not if they are taught properly. This is stupid! As for the symbol, i’ve never seen it on the show but I thought it was a happy face! Maybe some practical joker did it to see if they could get away with it. How minor, who is looking at the door number anyway!

11. Brandon says:

My kids are smarter, quite a bit smarter than me, but as a PARENT, I’ll teach them a few things. For example: the behavior on iCarly is unacceptable. I may be “funny and often silly” but it is also crass and my kids can be better served by simply watching something else.

I will 100% agree with their understanding reality versus the fictional TV and movies that are out. That doesn’t really justify the exposure does it?

To each their own.

12. My daughter watches iCarly translated into German. She finds it funny and often silly. Kids are smarter than you think when it comes to differentiating between reality and what’s on the box. I think they could teach you a thing or two.

13. deskofbrian says:

Krissy

the characters form a penis symbol

14. krissy says:

i dont get the 8 part

15. Rachel says:

I hate this show. I can’t let my six year old daughter watch it anymore.

16. Mike says:

I understand your concern for your kids but its not technically a show for younger children. Nicks target here is the 10-14 demographic. To many teenagers this is just average everyday humor.

the 8==D might be a little too much, though. i cant believe it wasn’t pulled